Sexual Abuse in Families - SECCA National Sexuality and Your Rights

Sexual Abuse in Families

Play Video

There are lots of types of people in families. Family can include people like your parents, siblings, grandparents, and step-family members. Family can also include the parents, siblings, children, or partners of these people.

Relationships with family should not be sexual.
Sexual abuse by a family member is called incest.

sexual abuse

If this has happened to you it is not your fault. There are people who can help you like the police, your doctor, a counsellor, or someone else you trust.

speak to
trusted someone

It is your choice
to tell someone
about what

speak to

Each state and territory have different laws that say who has to report abuse if they think someone under 18 years of age has been abused. In Victoria abuse has to be reported when someone is under 17 years of age. In New South Wales abuse has to be reported when someone is under 16 years of age.

The laws in each state and territory say that the person who has to report abuse has to report this to their local child protection department. These laws also tell you what kinds of abuse need to be reported. This is called mandatory reporting and helps keep young people safe. People who have to report abuse include doctors, nurses, teachers, police officers, and people in some other positions.

If you are under 18 years of age you can tell these people so they can help keep you safe. You can always tell someone about being abused.

under 18
police officer
equals object
child protection officer

Getting help if you have been abused can look like talking to:

Need Help?
There are places that can help you learn about your rights and responsibilities.
Page last updated: April 24, 2023